2015-10-24 · Centennial Blonde
- Beer Style:
- American Blonde
- Batch Size:
- Brew Type:
- All Grain
- Boil Duration:
- Mash Type:
- Single infusion (65.5°C, 60mins)
- Mash Method:
- Chill Method:
- No-Chill Cube
- Original Gravity:
- Final Gravity:
When I returned from my 2015 Canada/USA trip, I had with me a new grain mill and a 2.5 gallon kegging system I bought in the US. With the company behind the Party Pig announcing they were shutting down operations (they have since been purchased by another company, so production will continue), I felt it was time for me to upgrade to a "real" keg. I also ordered a faucet for the keg, CMBecker's V3S model, and bought a CO2 tank from a local supplier.
For my first batch with my two new purchases, I decided to go with the simple Centennial Blonde recipe from HomeBrewTalk. I have tried that recipe in the past, when I first started brewing, and screwed it up somehow.
I brewed the beer on October 24, a week after I returned from Canada. I milled the grains with the rollers set pretty tight, as I can afford to do so when using the BIAB method. This led to a significant increase in mash efficiency, so my OG was 1.054, much higher than the expected 1.040. I suppose it's time for me to adjust the estimated efficiency when building recipes. After spending a day in the no-chill cube, I pitched the yest and began fermentation.
When brewing, I forgot to make the third hop addition during transfer to the cube. I could have just let it go, but since my OG was much higher than expected, I did not want to do that. Therefore, I have decided to cancel the dry hop, and make a "hop tea" when kegging the beer. I boiled about 500ml of water on the stove top, making the two forgotten hop additions with their original, unadjusted durations.
After a month in the primary fermenter, I transferred the beer to the new keg, first straining in the hop tea. I purged out the oxygen from the keg and applied a few pounds of pressure to it. I put the keg and the CO2 tank in the fridge to cool down for 24 hours. The next day I began force carbonating the keg with about 16psi of pressure.
Being my first batch in a Cornelious keg, I had some difficulty in properly carbing the beer. At first, I had some CO2 leakage which I fixed, and the beer carbed quite well, but after a while it lost most of its carbonation, so I suppose I had another leak somewhere else. At any rate, it was a great batch and I can easily see why this recipe is the most highly rated one on Home Brew Talk. The beer leans more towards the sweet side rather then the bitter side, but the hops definitely come through quite well. This is one of the best session beers I've made.
|Mash||Pale Ale Malt||1800g|
|Caramel Malt 10L||130g|
|Boil||Centennial (8.8%)||55mins (35mins)*||5.6g|
|Centennial (8.8%)||35mins (15mins)*||5.6g|
|Cascade (5.7%)**||20mins (transfer)*||5.4g|
|Cascade (5.7%)**||5mins (dry hop)*||5.4g|
* Bittering hop addition adjusted to account for greater hop utilization due to the no-chill method.
** I forgot to make the third hop addition, read the description to learn how I dealt with that.